Dental implants are artificial teeth roots that have been surgically placed into the jawbone. These implants provide a strong foundation for permanent (fixed) or removable replacement teeth that have been made to match the appearance of your natural teeth. Dental implants have a success rate of nearly 98%, and when cared for properly, they can last a lifetime.
Dental Implant Candidates
In general, most people who are healthy enough to go through routine oral surgery or dental extraction can be considered for dental implants. Patients will need to have healthy gums, and the jaw should contain enough bone to support the implant. If you are considering an implant, you’ll need to be committed to visiting our office regularly in order to maintain optimal oral health, and you will also need to be committed to good dental hygiene.
There are some people who might not be the best candidate for dental implants. Heavy smokers, patients who have had radiation therapy to the neck or head area, and people who suffer from uncontrolled heart disease or diabetes should be considered on an individual basis.
The Dental Implant Procedure
The process of obtaining a dental implant involves several steps, and an individualized treatment plan will be created to address your specific needs. First, the tooth root implant will be placed into the bone socket in the location of the missing tooth. The tooth root is generally a small titanium post, and as the jawbone heals following implantation, it will grow around the post to securely anchor it into the jaw. This healing process can take up to 12 weeks.
Once the implant has completely bonded to the jawbone, a small connector known as an abutment will be attached to the root implant. To create the new tooth, impressions will be made of your teeth to develop a crown that will be attached to the abutment. Some patients will have entire attachments placed onto the implant rather than individual crowns. We will also work to match the color of your new teeth with your natural teeth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are numerous advantages associated with dental implants that can make this a great option for many people living with tooth loss:
- Improved speech. Dental implants can allow you to speak without worrying that your teeth might slip, which is a common problem with poor-fitting dentures.
- Improved appearance. Dental implants will feel and look like your real teeth, and since they will fuse to the bone, they’ll become permanent.
- Easier eating. Traditional dentures can slide around your mouth, making it difficult to chew. Since dental implants function like your own teeth, you’ll be able to eat your favorite foods without worry or pain.
- Improved comfort. Implants will eliminate the pain and discomfort of traditional, removable dentures.
- Convenience. Dental implants will eliminate the inconvenience and potential embarrassment of removing your dentures, and you won’t have to worry about using any messy adhesives to keep them in place.
Dental Implants Salem, OR
If you are interested in dental implants as a way to combat your tooth loss, contact our office for more information and to determine if you are a candidate.