Following your deep cleaning appointment we at Hearthstone Dental, ask that you refrain from eating until the anesthesia has worn off. We want you to avoid biting your lips, cheeks, or tongue which is easy to do when you are numb. Most of our patients do feel well enough to return to work immediately or the next day.
During the first 24 hours following your Deep Cleaning, you may be at a higher risk for bleeding or infection. Because of this, Dr. Friess asks that you avoid doing the following tasks:
- refrain from high impact physical exercise
- refrain from straws, sucking can induce bleeding.
- refrain from smoking for at least 48 hours.
- refrain from alcoholic beverages, they will slow the healing process.
- refrain from foods that are spicy or very hot.
- refrain from mouthwashes, they contain alcohol.
What we do ask our patients to do includes:
- It may be helpful to take a non-aspirin analgesic, this will help relieve discomfort. Analgesic includes ibuprofen or acetaminophen, both can be found over the counter.
- It may be helpful to eat a soft diet for today.
- It will be helpful to rinse with warm salt water, we recommend a teaspoon of salt mixed into an 8 oz. glass of warm water, 3 times a day.
- When brushing, brush your teeth very lightly. Floss lightly the next day. You should be back to brushing and flossing as normal within a few days.
- Some patients prefer to rinse with chlorhexidine gluconate (Peridex)
- Within a couple of days, your gums will start to look pinker, less swollen, and will bleed less when flossing. All of these signs indicate healing and tells you that your periodontal health is improving.
If you have any questions following your deep cleaning, or the rooting and scaling process, contact our Salem, OR office at: 971-600-2006